- Scholarship opportunities
- Networking amongst like-minded people and other social workers
- Presenting research at our Annual Research Symposium event
- Being part of an elite and active group of students on-campus and online
- Serving the community
Requirements to Join
- A minimum of 12 credit hours of completed graduate level Social Work coursework
- 3.75 cumulative GPA (verified via STARS report uploaded)
- One-page letter of recommendation from faculty member or field instructor
Maintaining Active Status
There are three continuous requirements until graduation:
- STARS report with proof of minimum 3.75 GPA
- Four hours of documented philanthropy/community services (although the more the merrier)
- Pay $30 membership dues
- DO NOT pay membership dues until you have officially received a confirmed membership notification. Per our by-laws, we do not issue refunds for membership dues.
- Submit STARS report, on time, every Fall & Spring semester. STARS report serves as a member’s documentation of Phi Alpha’s minimum cumulative GPA requirement of 3.75.
- Complete and submit documentation on time, every Fall & Spring semester, of 4 hours of philanthropy/community services.
- Pay $30 continuing membership dues, every Fall and Spring semester until graduation. Please note that we will not issue refunds if membership requirements aren't met.
- All hours and requirement must be met before March 30th in order for the MSW graduates’ name to be identified in the university graduation book.
Members of Phi Alpha Omicron Epsilon Chapter are required to complete at least four philanthropy hours per semester. Community services may be completed by participating in Phi Alpha sponsored philanthropy events or with an organization of your choice. Please contact Phi Alpha if you are unsure about whether your organization or event choice will be approved for philanthropy hours.
- Internship or employment activities will not count as approved philanthropy hours.
- Conference tabling, volunteering, or participation will not count as approved philanthropy hours.
- Hours completed through Phi Alpha sponsored events require checking in with a Phi Alpha board member during the event. Members who attend a Phi Alpha sponsored philanthropy event are NOT required to submit a Philanthropy Hours Approval Form.
- Hours completed at an organization of your choice must be documented using the philanthropy form available here
- Philanthropy hours are due by March 10th at 11:59 pm. We are currently scheduling volunteer opportunities for the Spring 2018 semester!
- Please see our FAQ page for more philanthropy information.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Go to Volunteer Match , La Works , and All For Good
- Go to the websites of the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank, Heal the Bay, Midnight Mission, and Foothill Unity Center for other listed volunteer events.
- Monthly OC Burrito Project: volunteer opportunity in Orange County.